Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Broke Ass Orange Oatmeal Cookies

Cookies have followed me out of the holiday season. Not that cookies have a particular "season." Normally, my sweet tooth heads out the door once the holiday meals catch up with me. I was forced to join a gym! Typically, I bake a batch or two or five cookies in December and leave it to the occasional whim in the new year. As alluded before, the oven is my favorite source of heat this winter and it has been bitter cold this time around.

I wanted something bright and sweet and wholesome. Oatmeal cookies were the perfect solution. One of the neighbors attending the Gardella Family Christmas Party baked an oatmeal cookie that should considered a sin. My eyes seriously, rolled in the back of my head. Sadly, I do not have this recipe. And it's a good thing because I am fairly certain it used lots, and lots of butter. My jeans don't need that.

Instead, I want to post a yummy and healthy cookie. Something new years resolution friendly. A cookie that can be eaten for breakfast :) The lovely quality about cookies are the basic ingredients. Sugar, Fat, Egg, Flour... aka, the canvas. Looking for inspiration I came across Rosie Daley's Orange Oatmeal Cookies. You know, that woman who cooks for Oprah.

Now, Oprah can afford whole wheat pastry flour, golden raisins, and unsweetened shredded coconut at the drop of a hat. My broke newly post-college self cannot. So I present...

My Broke Ass Attempt to Make Rosie Daly's Orange Oatmeal Cookies*

1. Cream 1 egg and 8 tablespoons softened Earth Balance (or whatever) in a large bowl.
2. Mash 1 browning banana, 1 tablespoon vanilla, and 1/2 cup brown sugar together. Cream with egg and earth balance mixture.
3. Add 1.5 teaspoons orange zest and the juice of 1/2 an orange.
4. Add mixture of 1.5 cup flour, 1 cup Oats, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 handfuls pumpkin seeds that have been sitting in the back of your cupboard for who knows how long, and 1 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Drink Powder
5. Incorporate dry ingredients to wet and mix in a dash or two of cinnamon for good luck.

Bake large tablespoons on a greased baking sheet at 350 for 15-20 minutes (know your oven!)

I sexed up my broke ass attempt by freezing the batch and topping them with bourbon whipped cream and candied clementine segments.

*This recipe has been Maggie approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment